Sunday, February 25, 2024

Fifty-five at (Age) Fifty-Five: Cowtown Marathon for Aafia

I'm 55 years old, and today I ran my 55th marathon, the Cowtown Marathon in Fort Worth, Texas. It is also the 11th one I've dedicated to the cause of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui's freedom. Previously, I ran the following marathons for Aafia:

Washington DC Marathon (2016), Boston Marathon (2017), Rock N' Roll DC Marathon (2018), Chicago Marathon (2018), Boston Marathon (2019), Chicago Marathon (2019),
Fort Worth Marathon (2021), Chicago Marathon (2022), BMW Dallas Marathon (2022), and BMW Dallas Marathon (2023, unregistered).

I've been running since age 14, but it was only in the last decade or so that I galvanized the courage to run for the causes dear to my heart. I studied the heroic postures against White Supremacy by athletes like Tommy Smith and John Carlos (1968 Olympics). And those of Vincent Matthews and Wayne Collett (1972 Olympics). Also, I examined the actions of numerous Arab and Muslim athletes refusing to play against Israel. Like all of them, I believe it is the duty of athletes of conscience to use the sports arena to call attention to issues of social justice.

A marathon, 26.2 miles is not easy to run. And, there is no immediate gratification, either in the training, or on race day itself. Indeed it requires a mountain of sabr (patience) and perseverance, even when one doesn't feel good and would like nothing better than to stop running. Why, then, do I run for Aafia? I am convinced she is completely and utterly innocent. Her treatment at U.S. hands seems to be the worst dealt to any Muslim in U.S. custody.

And because it is written:
"And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!" (Qur'an, 4:75)

That is why I run for Aafia, a woman who should never gave been locked up in the first place.

#FreeAafiaSiddiqui #FreeAllPoliticalPrisoners #FMCCarswell

No comments: