Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thoughts on the Death of a Dear Friend/Co-Worker

This morning, I attended the funeral of a longtime co-worker and friend, Crystal Pierce. The Grace of God Ministries, the small church where it was held, sits on Baltimore's Millington Avenue (about 2.5 miles from where Freddie Gray was killed by police in 2015). It was filled to capacity.

Crystal was young, only a year older than me, but she had Stage 4 lung cancer. She would always see me running during my break at work, and encouraged me daily. "Damn, girl, you be tearing up that road," she'd say. And, "As much as you run, you do all the running for both of us!"

I gently encouraged her to take grape seed extract and resveratrol, both highly effective holistic treatments for lung damage due to smoking. "Hang up the cancer sticks, and come running with me," I would tell her. "I know you can do it; you have that natural athletic build!"

And I meant it. Crystal had played basketball in school, and retained her trim athletic body almost until the end. But, she never obliged me on the running.

She was feisty and didn't mince words, excellent traits for the shop steward she was at our work place. But, she was also very kind, caring, and helpful to anyone in her circle who needed it. When various co-workers were suspended or fired through no fault of their own, she would make sure they were okay, taking up collections for them, and reminding others to check on them.

At one point, I was in the process of leaving an abusive marriage, and my ex- was stalking me, even coming to my job, threatening to smash my car windshield. Crystal was very supportive, saying she would beat him up for me, if necessary, and offering to walk me to my car at the end of my work shift. (I was fearful of being intercepted on the way to my car for many weeks in the course of that breakup.) Thankfully I never had to take her up on her offer. But, when one is enduring such a trial, it is comforting to know you have a friend like Crystal looking out. I only wish I could have been there for her in her health challenges.

May you rest in peace, dear friend.

No comments: