Friday, February 2, 2007

They Took the Typewriter Today

The recent railroadings of Muslim and Black political prisoners, brought to mind a poem I first encountered years ago, as coordinator for the Leonard Peltier Support Group (LPSG) of Washington, DC. It is written by Bobby Gene Garcia, Native American political prisoner, who was found dead in his cell about a month after this writing:
-------------
The U.S. Government will kill me
in their Iron Houses
where they have killed many
Warriors before me
but I smile a smile
for I know
something.

Not an Army,
certainly not death,
no one can keep her away from me
while I bleed and die
and my blood covers
Mother Earth

My dreams
My hopes
Live forever,
In the People,
In the Village,
In the Children.

From They Took The Typewriter Today
--Bobby Gene Garcia
November 8, 1980

No comments: