Thursday, February 22, 2007

For Freedom

Another work by Bobby Gene Garcia, Native American political prisoner, which has personal meaning for me, and also relates to the looming Febrary 27 habeas corpus hearing of Imam Jamil Al-Amin. I pray for Imam Jamil, that Allah give him renewed strength, and for the People, that they may not forget his legacy:
--------------------
Great Spirit, I chant for your help
once again
The strength of the four winds braced,
my mind.
My song set me free for I have
dared to dream
before of life-giving
freedom.
I'm free as an Eagle flying over
spacious prairies
that stilled the soul.
Unconstrained,
life-giving freedom
soaring under the
aspect of eternity.

Mountains and seas are no match
for my wings.
What matters if I fly alone?
Where freedom lies
there I find
home.

--Bobby Garcia
January 7, 1980

No comments: